Thursday, October 17, 2013

Book Covers!

Hello guys it’s Meagan today I’m here to discuss book covers…

Now book covers can ether make me WANT to read a book or make me NOT want to read a book. There are times when I have literally avoided reading books because of the cover (*cough* Gone *cough*). I know that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but if your book has an ugly cover I WILL NOT WANT TO READ IT! Now since I’ve made it obvious how important good covers are to me; now below are some of the things I like on book covers and some things I don’t like…

Things I like
1.  Symbolic covers… I like it when book covers have a symbol from the book on the from (example- the mockingjay pin on the cover of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or the Republic symbol on the cover of Legend by Marie Lu)

2.  Covers that hint toward something in the book… this one is harder to explain but basically I mean how on the covers for theShades of London series by Maureen Johnson they have London but the people are kinda blurry, implying ghosts

3.  Drawings… some might think drawings are childish, but I think they make some of the best book covers. For example, anything by Rick Riordan, his covers are always drawn and they’re always amazing! Another example is the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld; the drawings in those books really help you picture and understand the world/characters.
Things I don’t like
1.  People on covers… this very rarely turns out good. I mainly don’t like people on covers because the people are normally either A- awkwardly posed or B- have dumb expressions or C- have expressions that either just make you awkward… or that make you embarrassed to be seen with the cover. An example of people on covers gone wrong is the Gone series by Michael Grant

That pretty much sums up my feelings on book covers…
Below I will post all the covers mentioned above...
7826215
Leviathan
by Scott Westerfeld
a beautifully drawn cover! 
28187
The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan
Another beautifully drawn cover
13595639
The Name of the Star
by Maureen Johnson
the cover hints towards something in the book
 (blurry people= ghosts)
and it's really pretty :)
9275658
Legend
by Marie Lu
the cover contains a symbol
from the book
2767052
The Hunger Games
by Suzane Collins
the cover contains a symbol
 from the book
2536134
Gone
by Michael Grant
the people are awkwardly positioned
and their expressions just make me feel awkward

No comments:

Post a Comment